Sunday 1 December 2013

What makes Lost Eden stand out from the rest?

I first came across Lost Eden around 2008, when I was approached to get involved in a grid wide community library project. Sadly that project never got off the ground, but I was invited to the Lost Eden sim for a look around.
 
The sim itself was an impressive build back then, nothing like it is today. Today it is a more inviting SecondLife  sim. But enough about what was, let's talk about what is.
 
I had known the owners from my Mentoring days and we are still firm friends.
 
What makes Lost Eden stand out from the rest?
 
I guess its the philosophy of the owners and General Manager. An environment based on romance and respect, it is a good mix and it works.
 
The rules are few but they are enforced.
 
At sim level it is all about getting to know people in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere and in pleasant surroundings.
 

 
Lost Eden is rated as an adult sim, and some would think that because that is the case, they can come here and behave like a drunken sailor and use the foulest of language they can come up with.
 
Being an adult doesn't mean that this is the way you act. With adulthood comes responsibilities. It is not an open cheque book to be an ass.
 
Children get away with all sorts because they are learning to become adults and work in a society that expects them to behave like adults.
 
Lost Eden is a success because of the time and effort that the owners and early staff have put into the sim, Staff at Lost Eden are volunteers, they don't get paid a cent. Now that might sound crazy to some of the readers, but my general view point is this: as soon as you start paying staff, you get what you pay for and you don't pay for commitment.
 
The staff give their time freely because they believe in the sim and the philosophies it operates under and tries to maintain. Not only do the staff give their time freely, they also donate their expertise, knowledge and in some cases products that they make, to the sim to help the owners raise the monthly tiers that keep Lost Eden Open to all of the SecondLife adult community.
 
So the next time a staff member has to have a word with you, ask yourself this; what would you do in the same situation.
 
The staff at Lost Eden make friends with many of the regulars and guests that visit the sim, friendships that over time may blossom, or may seem to lapse at times. If staff don't seek you out for a chat, it could well be because they are busy maintaining a sim to the standard that the SecondLife community has come to expect. They also have their own SecondLife too.
 
For example, take myself, I am committed to Mentoring in SecondLife. Which means I roam the grid and primarily assist new residents in the first few days or weeks of their new SecondLife. I rarely friend them because they are labour intensive.
 
Those that I do friend know that I am a Grid Mentor and what I do and accept that. If they contact me, I help, but I don't seek them out on a daily basis, they have their own SecondLife to establish.
 
I also sometimes get approached to work community events, usually as a moderator, and that can take me out of general circulation for up to two weeks at a time. Longer if I have to recruit and train a moderator team for an event.
 
I build to relax or to provide free of charge, items for Lost Eden to sell to help with the tier raising function.
 
On top of all that I have a SL partner and I do like to spend time with her.
 
That is my example, and I am certain the other staff have their commitments in SecondLife on top of what they do at Lost Eden.
 
Every single staff member that volunteers their time at Lost Eden does so, so that you the visitors and regulars get to enjoy what has been created for you. The best romantic sim in SL.

No comments:

Post a Comment